Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Roadtrip: Spring 2019

Leaving "B" mountain...downtown Bisbee, AZ. 6/24/19.
Leaving Sierra Vista, AZ...crossing Middlemarch road with Cochise Stronghold in the background. This was my first taste of the off-road portion of this road trip.
My first night in the little "bivy". Certainly is close quarters. It was a little chilly as temps dipped into the 30s. Elevation is somewhere near 9,000 ft. I saw an elk trotting down the road. No snakes...yet.
Way too quickly I forget the names of the little towns I stop to rest at. This building caught my eye. It's part storefront, and part quonset hut. And odd one for sure. I stopped in the local grocery for snacks. It was one of those little where I had the sense that people grew up and stayed here their whole lives. Back roads rock!
My snack stop. This hand-carved eagle caught my eye. I'm not sure why most of my photos have a motorcycle in them. This particular motorcycle is behaving well. I'm very happy.
On my way to Bluewater State Park, NM., I took a back-country road up Mt. Taylor. This is one of the many vistas along the way.


I thought that this back-country option would be a good choice. Then reality set in. Taking this road would be 50 miles of off-road wrestling with a adept motorcycle, but would add 2 hours to my trip. I had to turn around and let discretion win out over valor. I'm glad too. I got to the turn-off for Chaco Canyon more timely, and plenty grateful.

I arrived at Chaco Canyon NHP early in the day, 6/24/19. It's a tremendous collection of cultural structures from 850-1150, when native americans gathered here from across the Southwest. Many languages were spoken from the many different tribes that came here. It's a huge array of structures of mammoth proportions. I'll include a series of pictures that don't do justice to the scale. Of note, the spiritual significance of the location to the local native americans can be felt. I woke in a remote campground to strong sense of peace and tranquility. There's powerful energy here. And a return trip is certainly on my agenda.





6/25/19 So what's next? I'll likely be off-the-grid again and won't have cell or internet service. The plan is to go to Ouray, CO. Likely camping at a place that my high-school chum David suggested. Mineral Springs Campground. From there I understand that there are many on and off road adventures available. Will I go further North? Depends on time and temperature. I know I'll be back in Bisbee by July 1. And that's another whole week of meandering on the Honda. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment